Wednesday, April 3, 2013

a jam



When I first moved to New York, I lived off a bag of frozen Ikea meatballs for a really long time. You plunk four or five into a microwavable bowl and in about a minute you have piping hot meatballs begging on their wobbly round knees for a bit of lingonberry jam by the same maker to enrobe them. Sometimes I still crave this pairing but luckily am deterred by the difficulties which a trip to Ikea presents. This makes up the bulk of my adult experience with jam, until a few days ago.


A few days ago, I started to compulsively steal spoons of my roommate's Bon Maman preserves to put on leftover cornbread muffins I would pop into the microwave for twenty seconds and top with a pale square of butter. It tasted so good that I ate it before, after, or with four consecutive meals until a visible depletion of said preserves overwhelmed me with guilt.

Out of laziness and because in general my baking and sweets-making skills are zero, I decided to make a "quick jam", which I learned is not a true jam because it requires neither pectin nor processing. It's more a fruit compote, or sauce, that I chose to eat like a jam; and thus it was--




Strawberry Tarragon Jam

adapted from martha stewart

Ingredients : 


2 cups of fresh, hulled strawberries, cut into pieces 

3/4 cup raw sugar
1 lemon, juiced
4 springs of tarragon, chopped 

Directions : 


Place strawberries, sugar and lemon juice into a pot over medium heat, stirring often. 
Everything will begin to bubble and foam--this is great! Add the taragon.

Cook, cook, cook until strawberries begin to lose their form, ten to fifteen minutes.

Skim off any foam that has accumulated, and transfer to a jar. Allow it to come to room temperature before covering, and refrigerate for up to ten days.

For a smoother consistency, puree the strawberries in a food processor before you begin.



So please take the Helen Frankenthaler above as inspiration for how to eat your jam, swashed romantically over a piece of white bread. Also really good with a bowl of plain yogurt. Or stirred into seltzer for a strawberry soda. Cute!

The jam has a fresh sweetness, tethered by the fragrant bite of the tarragon; it smells like candy as it's cooking, and is indeed quick, thus living up to the name "quick jam". Though frankly, its making wasn't the transcendent experience I had expected it to be. And when I took a photo, it looked much like my chili did.

In the future I wonder if it wouldn't be just as nice to stir a bit of freshly chopped tarragon into a few spoons of Bon Maman? I'll report back.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't tried tarragon yet but the strawberry-tarragon jam sounds wonderful ! For a jam novice :D , that jam looks terrific !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering how tarragon would have been in jam. Looks so tempting and would habe been flavorful too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the tarragon is great! keeps it from being too sweet or one-dimensional.

      Delete
  3. I remember those Ikea meatballs as well. ;) But I usually just eat them when I shop at Ikea and seldom bring a bag home.

    This Strawberry Jam looks wonderful and so simple to prepare. I love the tarragon in it. I'm sure it taste way better than any store bough jam!

    ReplyDelete